Tuesday, April 21, 2009

[5] WHAT IS THE BEST CAREER PATH FOR YOU?

The best advice I ever received about choosing a career path was from a successful man who simply reflected on how he came to be successful.

Many years ago, I had a friend who was my mentor. Richard was one of those types of entrepreneurs who were smart and highly motivated. While I was a struggling industrial designer, he was a successful publisher. I claim him as a mentor because he seemed to have an approach to life that I admired. He was doing lifestyle and business things differently from me; and I assumed that his methods were more likely to lead to success than mine; and he was ten years my senior in life experiences. I therefore decided that I would try to inject some of his approach to everyday tasks into my own life.

I was invited to join Richard and his closest friends and family to his birthday celebration at his home. One of the guests was a very successful man who was Richard’s mentor. His name is Avery Fisher. I have met many famous people in my life, but this elegant, White-haired man was especially interesting to me. He loved the arts and he was a product developer. That resonated with me because my interests are the same.

Many people don’t recognize Mr. Fisher’s name until I mention a few key points of his life. The most recognizable connection is that he is the fellow who donated $10.5 million to the New York Philharmonic and has his name and portrait emblazoned on the magnificent Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York. His business combined his love of music (he was an amateur violinist) with his hobby of creating electronic products that would deliver music in the most realistic manner. He is one of the forefathers of what we now refer to as high fidelity and stereo electronics. His company, Fisher Radio (which was later sold to Emerson and then Sanyo) is highly regarded in the consumer electronics industry.

When Richard introduced me to Avery, I opened our conversation with a joke. I said, “Since you are Richard’s mentor and Richard is my mentor, I guess that makes you the Grand Poobah Mentor. So, there have been times in my life that I have been troubled enough to leap-frog over Richard and come directly to you for advice.” Well, the joke was fully appreciated and Avery replied with some life-guiding advice for me. He said, “Okay, so here we are. I’ll give you my best advice right now”. Of course, I was all-ears at that point.

Avery told me about three important aspects of positioning oneself in business and career. It was the foundation of his success.

He said that it is helpful to have a hobby. Aside from being enjoyable, pursuing a special interest puts a handle on you for yourself and for others in your life. You can be Gary the golfer or Sam the stamp collector. It gives you a central place that contributes to your individual brand …your identity.

When it comes to thinking freely about career choices, he advised me that my business should be related to my hobby. If I would do my hobby as my business, I would be likely to do it very well. I would have a passion for it. That passion would lead me to manage my business much better than others; and I would build a good business.

He then went on to say that many people follow that dream and many do succeed …and many know about the benefit of that duality. However, he said the third part is the most important part that is mostly overlooked. The third part is the key to a more successful business life. He said, “Assuming you are doing those first two parts, you should then trust your intuition. If you have that initial passion and you are really very knowledgeable on the topic of your trade, then instead of advancing only from A, to B, to C, you will have a better chance of proceeding from A, to B, then skip to L, M, N, O, P. You will achieve higher goals and much more quickly.”

Mr. Fisher combined his love for music with his interest in electronics; and now had given me a summary of the reason for his success. It is obvious by this writing that his advice was taken very seriously by me. Over the years, I have had my ups and downs in life, but I use Avery Fisher’s wisdom to guide myself as well as my coaching clients and close friends. I have offered this story to people who are either at a point of career start or career change; and those who have made decisions as suggested have realized positive results.

It would not be correct for me to end this lesson without mentioning one other bit of coaching advice. While the Avery Fisher story may have great merit, it does not necessarily lead any of us to our very next step in life or career. The term “success” can only be defined on a very personal basis. One person’s drive for wealth or possessions is in contrast to another having wonderful artistic accomplishment, or some sort of fame as more important goals. Many times it’s all about a mix of more than one desire. Mozart was buried in a pauper’s grave. Was he successful? He may have been, but only he could really say so. As with everything in life, balance and compromise are key issues. So, dear pilgrim, if you cannot be everything you would wish for, at least follow your dream at whatever level works for you …do the first two steps and be aware of the third …and know that mostly it’s the journey that is more fulfilling than the goal.

"Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will." - Jawaharal Nehru

No comments:

Post a Comment